The Second International Symposium
"Ancient and Medieval Metalworks. Archaeology-Numismatics-Nuclear Analyses"
Bucharest, Romania, May 6th - 7th 2008
"Vasile Pârvan" Institute of Archaeology of Romanian Academy, the Faculty of History of the Bucharest University and "Horia Hulubei" National Institute of Nuclear Physics and Engineering in Bucharest-Măgurele announce the organization of the Second International Symposium "Ancient and Medieval Metalworks. Archaeology- Numismatics-Nuclear Analyses", in the frame of the ARCHAEOMET programme, financed by the Romanian Ministry of Education and Research. The organizing committee will be pleased to meet in Bucharest, next year, a large number of colleagues working in related fields to archaeometallurgy.
The symposium intends to present the general progress made during the last few years in the studies on ancient and medieval metalworking using the classical means of archaeology and numismatics combined with the physical (especially nuclear) and chemical analyses.
- The symposium will focus mainly on the following three topics:
- 1. Bronze Metallurgy from the Beginnings to the Roman Period
- 2. Gold and Silver Toreutics in the Classical and "Barbarian" Worlds
- 3. Analyses on Ancient and Medieval coinages
It is desirable the papers to center on archaeological and numismatic discoveries especially from Romania and the neighboring countries from South Eastern, Eastern and Central Europe, in a broader European context. All the participants are invited to give a particularly importance to the aspects concerning metal sources - especially gold and silver - metal treatment technologies, typology, style, metrology, mints, circulation of the metal objects (vessels, tools, jewelries, coins). Papers concerning new interdisciplinary researches and conclusions will be well received.
- No registration fee is required required.
- The organizers will offer meals to the participants, and will try to provide some free accommodations.
- The organizers will also offer a number of 5 travel grants for master and Ph. D students and for other participants with limited financial resources.
- The symposium will be hosted by the "Vasile Pârvan" Institute of Archaeology of Romanian Academy.
- A Bucharest mainly attractions tour will be organized on May 8th.
- 31st of January 2008: sending the intention of participation
- 15th of March 2008: reception of abstracts by e-mail